Ahhh, it feels good to be home. And by home, I mean back in a mercaz klita (absorption center, i.e. big, dorm-like building in which Israel houses her new immigrants). Beit Canada, the name of my new home, is very reminiscent of my former home in the mercaz klita in Arad. Similarities that I have noted thus far include: cot-like army bed with a thin pad (great for the back), windows that don’t close, lack of working heaters, random stray cats in the building (welcome to Israel), a cement-floored “shower” complete with moldy shower curtain and a perfect location, right in the middle of nowhere. But in all reality, it’s not as bad as it sounds. You'll see tomorrow when I post pictures (internet signal isn't strong enough right now). And for what I’m paying to live and eat here until June, I really can’t complain. So I’ll stop. My roomie’s name is Jessica and she’s really cool. We have a bunch in common and we may have just established our apt to be the “peace corner” of the mercaz. =)
In other news, I nearly froze to death last night. Not exaggerating. Ok, maybe a little, but it was FREEZING. I had a sheet and thin fleece blanket (thanks yoav!) but it was not NEARLY enough. Back in Mass we may have had a few feet of snow, but at least the buildings actually retain heat! So today I went out and bought a down comforter, I bargained down to 80 shecks (~$20) not bad! Now I’m nice and toasty.
Thursday afternoon is our Hebrew ulpan (language school) placement exam. I’m not getting my hopes up, as I’ve forgotten so many verbs that it’s embarrassing. The good news is that they are going to start feeding us! Yay for having lunch and dinner served to me everyday from now until June! I hope it’s edible… I’ll report back soon.
Lauren’s arriving in 10 DAYS! How excited am I?!?! And Mom and Dani should be around that time as well. (They don’t have a flight yet) As much as I am loooving every moment of being here, I really can’t wait for my family to arrive. It’s going to be so amazing having them here for so long!!
From reading the news a bit, it seems like the war may be coming to an end fairly soon. But then again it’s the news, and you just never know. So we will see, but I definitely do hope it ends and that a viable agreement comes out of all this balagan.
Ok, I’m totally beat – not surprising as I have to climb half a mountain and about 200 stairs just to get to the store/atm/any semblance of life at all! (A hike that I made not once, but twice today!) But before I go I wanna give a HUGE shout-out to Shay for taking me in when I needed it most. I couldn’t have asked for a better klita than staying with Shay, Meir & Hadar. I truly felt at home, relaxed and loved. The world needs more people like you!! I am infinitely grateful and one day, when I have a bomb apartment of my own – you’re welcome to crash always!
!לילה טוב
אלה
i fully approve and applaud the correct use of bomb as the adjective to apartment here. you are a sister of my own heart (or something like that?) anyway, see you in 2 weeks sissy!! oh, i forgot to tell you, im pretty sure my israeli environment and the israeli politics class are at the SAME TIME!!! NO FAIR!! :(. i have to check again but im pretty sure thats what i read. love youuu <3 talk soon. MUAH!
ReplyDeleteonly you can appreciate how much your words make me yearn for thin army-like cots and cement shower floors! what did they put in our hummus to make us so addicted?? :O) miss you oodles and oodles!
ReplyDelete