Friday, December 26, 2008

Leaving already?

Yup, I am. I'm not sure how a month just passed in the blink of an eye... but I'm fairly sure that working 80 hours a week for 4 weeks in a row had something to do with it. Maybe. 

I'm leaving in 48ish hours and holy crap.... IM LEAVING IN 48 HOURS. I hope I'm reading that correctly. I'm not sure I'm ready. But I have to be ready, so I will be. 

I owe a ton of apologies to too many people whom I didn't have a chance to meet up with one last time. I would have loved nothing more than to spend a whole day, or more, with each of you - and give you the time and proper farewell that you so deserve for being such important people in my life. Alas, life just doesn't work that way.  I don't feel like I'm leaving so many of you. Rather this is just the next chapter of the story of my life. You've been a part up to this point and I fully expect that you will continue to be there. Plus in this day-and-age, we have amazing technology to keep in touch! Video chat with me on g-chat (allie.spivack@gmail.com), talk to me via webcam on Skype (sn: ellaspivack), write me an email, leave me a facebook post, or leave a message right on this blog! See, I won't be hard to reach at all...

This would be a great opportunity to share with you how I'm feeling, a short 2 days before I become Israeli.  If only I could figure out for myself exactly how I'm feeling!!! I know I'm excited, anxious and perhaps a bit nervous.  Not nervous because of the recent flare-up on the Gaza border, but rather nervous because I am anticipating the amount of work I have ahead of me.  Starting a life in a new place is daunting, let alone navigating it all in a language that you are not-so-fluent in. I'm excited for the challenge though, and I am completely confident that I'm up for it.  I know there will be tough days. And for those days I am so blessed to have people in Israel who love me and who will be there to hug me when I need it. (Thanks Dvir, for reminding me of that!)

Mom is busy working out the logistics of her stint in Israel, as well.  Things are still coming together, liat liat. She knows more now, but is still waiting to book a flight and on the specifics of her apartment location. She's excited, Dani's excited, Lauren's excited (leaving 1 month from today)... and I feel like the luckiest Olah in the world!

It was hard to say goodbye to teaching and to the group home I've been working at since May. Harder than I thought it would be.  I've learned so much from both experiences, and met many amazing people in the process.  One thing I'm leaving with for sure, is that I know I want to work with kids.  They have an innocence about them that is so unique. Kids look at the world and say, "I can." They believe in things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy and magic... because to them, anything is possible - so why not?! They are not yet hardened by this sometimes not-so-friendly world. Being around kids is so incredibly refreshing. I swear they taught me more than I ever taught them. They'll never know, but I am forever grateful.

I've been jumping all over the place in this post. So I'm gonna give up all effort of organization and keep with the stream of thought writing...

When I arrive in Israel on Monday, I'll be taking a taxi to Shay's apartment in Jerusalem. He has been so unbelievably generous to house me and my life until I can move into Beit Canada (the absorption center where my language school is located) on January 13.  Shay's the greatest and I can't express how nice it is to know that I'm going somewhere familiar, with such a great friend for my initial time as a new citizen. I owe you big time, Shaya!

The first few days will be filled with the hours of bureaucracy that every new immigrant loves. Picking up my teudat zehut (Israeli ID card), open a bank account, register my bank account with the ministry of absoprtion, get a cell phone, enroll in a kupat cholim (health care clinic)...etc.  Luckily, I'll be in Jerusalem so the ministries and health clinic offices will be very accessible to me. Unluckily, it's going to be a QUICK wake-up call on how rusty my hebrew's gotten. The little that I had back in the spring. That's what the ulpan's for... right? Plus I have an incentive set up for myself. When I finish all that crap, I get to go up north and visit with DINA!! who is home is Israel on winter break from school in Canada. I can not WAIT to see this girl!

I plan to finish packing tomorrow. I better get to sleep so I can get up early enough. I'm having dinner with Mr & Mrs Bonzagni tomorrow night. It will be nice, and I really wish Chris could be there to share it with us. In a few days I'll be just a few hours away from him! Too bad it's impossible for me to see him in Iraq. Saturday I'll be home, doing last minute things around the house all day. Mom, Lauren, Dani and I will be leaving Whitman around 8-9 am on Sunday morning and heading for JFK airport. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah!

Oh, before you go... you've got to read the latest entry (Dec 24) of Abe's blog. He's one of my wonderful friends who continues to amaze and challenge me on a daily basis. I can't wait to be with him in a few weeks. We've been apart for far too long now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment