In just over 4 weeks, I will be an Israeli citizen. Just typing that sends chills down my spine and makes my head spin. Israeli citizen, while it can be said so simply it has so many implications for me. Life in Israel will certainly be a dramatic change from my life here in the US... and that's an understatement.
Whether you have been to Israel or not, whatever your opinion or idea of the country may be, I'm sure many of you reading this may think I'm borderline insane. While I agree that I am just a bit crazy, I haven't completely lost it...yet. Let me try to explain...
Earlier this year, while trying to figure out my "next big step" in life, I was having many discussions with many people concerning past experiences and things I am passionate about. Inevitably, each of these discussions ended up in my recounting experiences of the past 6 months in Israel, bursting with emotion about all that I had seen, who I had met and what I had learned. After weeks and months of having these intense discussions, it became obvious where my passion lay. I realized that I had been spending all this time sitting here talking and talking when really I should be doing. To paraphrase my good friend Abe, "Who the hell do I think I am..." to sit around and blab about these issues all day, from my comfortable, unchallenged position here in the US. As a Jewish person, I not only have the opportunity but also the responsibility to go and do something about all of these issues which are so obviously a part of my consciousness. I want to be a part of the Jewish state so that I can be involved in helping to create a better Israel for the future. I truly believe in the need for Israel to exist as a Jewish state. Israel should and does strive to be a "light unto the nations" and in that respect, I think there is much work to be done. This is why I am moving to Israel and becoming a part of the Jewish nation- to do my part in building an Israel that not only Jewish people are proud of, but that the rest of the world can look to as a role model.
I know that this is all quite lofty and idealistic, but as Dr. J said, "If you're not idealistic when you're in your 20s, there's no hope for you as an old person."
I'd just like to note that I'm not posting this because I expect any of you to support me in my decision after reading this. Hell, you don't even have to like my reasons! They are my personal convictions and you are entitled to your own. I simply wanted to share with people what has propelled me to make such a drastic, life-altering decision. Also, I am writing this partially for myself, as this is the beginning of a long road which is certain to have its fair share of bumps and roadblocks. When I reach those difficult points (of which I am sure there will be MANY), I want to be able to look back on how I felt at this moment - with so much anticipation, energy and passion. As Erez said, I too hope that I will continue in this way of thinking once I have lived in Israel for a while.
For the next 4ish weeks I will be all over the place. If you'd like to see me, give me a shout and I'd be glad to meet up somewhere! Stay tuned for updates on the exciting and arduous task of packing my life into three 50-lb suitcases by the end of the month...
I am beyond jealous, insanely proud, and possibly not the least bit surprised! :O) Love you! I'll be thinking about you back on our streets!
ReplyDeletenever read your blog before but your facebook status clued me in that I should (or did you just start blogging - you seem like the type of person who would have a blog, but I don't know). You articulated your statement beautifully and I cannot wait to hear about what it is like for you as an Israeli citizen. I, like jane, am jealous... at least of your sweet national ID/state issued wallet.
ReplyDeletethanks for the shout out, love. i'm all fired up. can't wait to be there with you, i can never stop learning from you allison!
ReplyDelete:-*
SO proud of you my Ambitious Allie! If we're going to get through the clusterf&$k that's going on in Israel, it's going to take bright, driven, creative souls like you to make it happen.
ReplyDeleteKeep shinin' and inspirin' babe! Can't wait to visit you in the Holy Land!
It's amazing how everything is falling into place with your sister studying there, and your mom going to work. I don't really believe things happen for a reason, but I do believe that when things happen like that, the feeling is amazing and you can only embrace it with the passion, energy, and enthusiasm with which you embrace every aspect of your life. I greatly admire your passion and your drive to pursue your dreams. Hopefully I'll lead a birthright trip soon and visit you!
ReplyDelete