Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Love My Life

 It’s true, I really do. I’ve been reflecting a lot lately on how incredibly happy I am with my life here. It’s true that I am currently job-less, car-less, apartment-less (as of June 15) and in some ways, direction-less but every night when I go to sleep I can’t help but smile at how blessed I am to live in such a wonderfully amazing place. (Left is a picure of me at the tayelit (promenade) that is a 10 minute walk from where I live. Overlooks all of Jerusalem!)

Despite the harshness, loudness, rudeness and general disrespect for rules of the society here, there is a certain warmth in relationships that I have never experienced anywhere else. I can’t tell you how many homes, meals and families I’ve been invited to here, and every time the generosity and true sincerity brings me nearly to tears.

Besides the people, I really enjoy my lifestyle here. Lauren and I were talking on our bike ride around Tel Aviv last Sunday and we were listing all the things we do here regularly, that we don’t do when we live elsewhere. The lack of car leads to taking public transportation everywhere, and you CAN. You literally can travel anywhere here via public transportation without TOO much trouble (ok so maybe sometimes it takes you 3 times as long to get somewhere…oh well!). We do most of our shopping at the “shuk”, kind of like a huge outdoors farmer’s market, which costs way less and has incredibly fresh products. We go on hikes, day trips, city explorations and meet new people constantly- all things that add to making our lives ever-exciting and incredibly dynamic. Maybe it’s because we didn’t grow up here, but I even have interest in doing things I’ve done before (either last year or on taglit) I just can’t get enough of exploring this majestic land.

Some pics of the past couple months: February  Purim

There’s something else that I finally feel ready to write about. For those of you who haven’t heard, I’ve decided to join the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) for one year. Military service is compulsory for all Israelis, 2 years for women and 3 for men, immediately following high school graduation. Because I moved here after age 20, I am not required to serve.  There are a number of a reasons that after much thought and inner-struggle, I decided to enlist. As much as I feel accepted and welcomed here, I don’t necessarily feel Israeli.  There is so much about growing up in a place that shapes who you are as a person, and although we’re all legally “Israeli” it is quite obvious that there is a huge divide between  a “sabra” (native Israeli) and myself. Being in the army, I think, is one very effective way to absorb into Israeli culture and mindset. (If you are going to live in a place and try to make it your home, you need to understand the people – right?)  Another big factor is language skills. In the army I will get to attend “army ulpan” (language school) and afterwards I will be speaking only hebrew with my fellow soldiers and officers..  With my current level of Hebrew, it is fairly unlikely that I’d land a job where I was speaking Hebrew nearly all the time.  This way, I am sure to be improving my Hebrew greatly over the next year. Perhaps my reasons for serving sound selfish, and perhaps they are to someone who thinks that people should enlist for “the good of the country” and to serve Israel. I know that I’m not going to have a super important job in the army because a) I’m not fluent in Hebrew and b) I’m only serving for a year (most high-level jobs have months of training, that I won’t be eligible for since my enlistment is so short). I’m thinking realistically in the fact that yes, I am valuable to the army because I have skills (like  native English and life experience) that 18 year old Israeli girls usually can not bring but at the same time, the army has something to offer me.  I know the next year will be a rollercoaster of positive and negative experiences but that’s exactly what I’m looking for, I want the experience for all of it’s good AND bad. So when does it begin? July 20th. And what will I be doing? As for that I’m still unsure. There's a chance I may be going into the airforce, but regardless, I'm going to have some form of "office" job so don’t get too worried about me being on the front lines or anything!

Passover begins tomorrow. I’ve been on vacation for 5 days so far and couldn’t be happier! I’m spending most of the break with Lauren and we are traveling all around doing a bit of everything.  Last weekend we volunteered (and Lauren played) in an ultimate Frisbee tournament called “Ultimate Peace in the Middle East.”  You should read more about it here: http://www.ultimatepeace.org(pics to come)

We had an incredible time, met amazing people, and had a blast. Lauren’s team won the whole tournament!! Now we have a one day lay-over in Jerusalem before heading up to Haifa tomorrow to spend Passover with my good friend Adina and her family. Passover is my favorite holiday and I always love experiencing new seders and traditions. I have to say though, I will DEFINITELY miss the Serinsky-Johnson seder as it’s the first time I won’t be there in  5 years! Plans after Passover will probably include some southern traveling, apartment hunting, and finally meeting mom’s colleague and friend, Moti and his family.

Wil try my best to keep you updated as much as possible!

Hag Same’ach!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. allie!

    i was just thinking of you the other day when we were talking about passover with my boss who is Jewish and i mentioned one of my friends from college held a seder for us one year :-)

    it's funny because i can REALLY relate to this post - it's hard to explain how happy i am here in brazil and have people actually believe it! i'm so happy you're having a similar experience in Israel and looking to integrate even moreso in the country!! please keep me updated on your adventures, and if you don't mind, I want to link this post in my next blog entry :-)

    beijjooosss!
    -poly.

    ReplyDelete